Monday, December 24, 2007

A tourist in my own backyard?

For the past week I've been playing tourist in my own backyard. I live in downtown Seattle, just above the Pike Place Market--one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. I go there on a regular basis to meet friends, buy fresh produce, chocolate croissants, velvet foam lattes, and the best mac and cheese around. This week, I went to the market with a camera around my neck rather than a shopping bag--I did the same at the waterfront tourist shops--I even went to the Cheesecake Factory downtown (it was so full and the line so long that I couldn't even saddle up to the bar for their famed blue-cheese-olive dirty Martini). With so much of my focus of late being on the organization of my travel/work schedule to far flung destinations over the next 9 months or so, it's nice to learn that my own home base camp is also a pretty cool place to be a tourist with a camera--and I don't even have to get on a plane to be there!
Here's what I saw:
------------------------------------

Seattleite author Amanda Ford takes a stylish spin for lunch at the Ballard Sunday Market.


The daughter of a young tourist family from Spain in more enthralled by her juice box than endless Salmon fish vendors in the Pike Place Market.


Jose, a recent arrival from Guatemala checks for employment at the Pike Place Fish Market. His friend from Mexico already has a good job there.


Mom maneuvers with baby through the homeless fringe en route to dinner in trendy Belltown.


Late night vendor closes shop after packing unsold fish in storage for the evening.


Seattle "Urban Bicycle Tour" group obeys the new "off your bike" rule in the downtown sculpture park.


Sylvia the Mummy at the Ye Olde Curiosity Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment