Thursday, March 20, 2008

Weekend at Kells

Last week, I bumped into Patrick, my older brother's best friend from High School on my daily stroll to Pike's Place Market. His family owns Kells Irish Pub in downtown Seattle. St. Patrick's day weekend is a big event at Kells and they hire a photographer to take pictures of the people in the bar. The usual photographer was in Australia and Patrick asked me if I would be willing to come down and take shots during the weekend.

I've never been interested in taking snapshot pictures at parties and to tell the truth, I've always kinda been annoyed by the "photo guy" dropping-in and popping-off a flash strobe while I'm mid-conversation or enjoying music over a few beers. But I also need to practice as much as possible and especially need practice with my flash--this seemed like a great opportunity to do so.

On Sat. through Monday Kells was packed from noon until 2 AM. It's a HUGE party.

Maybe I'm just getting old or my spending 2.5 of the last 3 years photographing 3rd world countries has left me a bit too far out of the loop but it just seemed like a lot of women wanted to have me take pictures of their boobs while flashing. When I refused, some of them actually got angry with me. What? My guy friends think that I'm off my rocker complaining about this but come on...the days of "Spring Break Cancun" and "Girls Gone Wild" videos are over, right?

OK, that's a rant that I never thought that I would be ranting about.

The majority of the people at hangin' Kells over the weekend were just plain having a blast--thanks for letting me photograph you--I had a great time! For the bare-chesting ladies--please, use interesting conversation, dance, be fun, or do something else to get attention from the guys in the bar.

*Let me know if I am way off base here.

At some point they will post pictures at http://www.kellsirish.com/

A few shots:





No comments:

Post a Comment